Workplace Culture is the overall character and personality of a business. It is the shared values, belief systems, behaviours and attitudes that make your business unique.
Why is it important?
Workplace culture is so important because it influences so many aspects of your business, including:
- It defines your organisations internal and external identity
- It attracts talent and helps you keep your best people
- Culture impacts performance and employee wellbeing
- Fosters a sense of pride and ownership among employees
- Makes teams resilient to change
So, how do I improve my organisation’s workplace culture?
Building a positive workplace culture is never a one-size-fits-all solution. However, here are 8 easy and applicable steps that you can follow to help your workplace culture:
1. Clearly define and communicate company values
- Values guide what the acceptable and encouraged behaviours are among employees and help unite everyone.
2. Be transparent
- If you have transparency with your employees, it creates trust, loyalty and produces highly engaged employees.
3. Encourage collaboration
- Through encouraging active communication and knowledge sharing it can help employees feel supported, breakdown departmental silos and foster growth.
4. Recognise and reward employees
- This is one of the best ways to make your employees feel appreciated, retain employees and drive engagement by letting them they are making a difference.
5. Establish a culture of feedback
- If you provide feedback regularly and allow your employees to give feedback, it will help build confidence in employees, allow good work to be rewarded, and reduce the chance of error.
6. Authentic and trusted leadership
- If leaders visibly demonstrate that they embody the organisations core values and beliefs it will encourage wider and more thorough acceptance among employees.
7. Embrace Diversity
- This helps promote a respectful, dignified, inclusive and innovative culture and ensures that everyone feels comfortable and welcomed.
8. Foster growth and development
- By helping your employees learn, grow, and develop new skills, they will feel valued and like they have a higher purpose at work.
Overall, if you are open, honest, supportive and nurturing of employees and your team, it will help your workplace culture to thrive and improve performance.
If you feel that there are still cultural problems in your workplace, talk to professionals such as CIRCLE HR, who have vast experience dealing with internal culture issues; we can assist with remodeling your team’s historic path dependency and creating new narratives for your organisation.
Important Note: These articles have been prepared for general circulation and are circulated for general informational purposes only; these articles should not be regarded as business or investment advice. The articles represent the views of the writers and are subject to change without notice. Additionally, while every care has been taken in the preparation of the articles no representation or warranty as to accuracy or completeness of any statement is given. An individual or organisation should, before any business or investment decision is made, consider the appropriateness of the information in this document, and seek professional advice, having regard to objectives, situation and needs. This document is solely for the use of the party to whom it is provided.