I recently attended a great lunch promoted by Realise Business and the local Chamber of Commerce in regards to Cyber Security. The lunch involved a panel discussion including representatives from the Office of the NSW Small Business Commissioner; Australian Business Lawyers & Advisors; Technology firms and small businesses that had been subjected to cyber security attacks.
The whole lunch was excellent with a wealth of information available to the small business attendees. A report was discussed from NSW Small Business Commissioner into cyber safety, which highlighted some alarming statistics about small business’s relationship with cybersecurity:
1. SMEs believe their limited online presence protects them from cybercrime (which is untrue as it’s estimated that 90% of all emails sent each day are spam)
2. The cost of cybercrime in Australia is an estimated $1 billion each year
3. Only 1 in 5 SME owner-operators purchase insurance products to protect them from cybercrime.
While there were many aspects of internet security an organisation can implement by working with their IT provider and understanding how to report incidents and legal ramifications. There are also some simple HR initiatives that you can implement today.
Here is a list of just 5 simple things to do to help protect your business:
1. Have an employee exit procedure which includes return of swipe keys, documents, access codes and changes to passwords
2. Conduct an exit interview to find out why your employee is leaving and highlight any possible areas of contention
3. Utilise an Internet and Email Use Policy to send a clear message and to train your workers in safe internet and email usage
4. Design access levels within your business and do not give people access to areas they do not need
5. Develop a culture of security around passwords and sensitive information with frequent changes
Not sure how to do any of this?
CIRCLE HR is the division that can assist you with all of this. From designing a specific exit interview and procedure through to a legally written Internet and Email Use Policy and consulting around organisational culture development and structure; it is not costly to implement a few simple measures that may save you down the track.
Give us a call today to talk more about your organisations needs. 1300 923 000
Important Note: These articles have been prepared for general circulation and are circulated for general informational purposes only; these articles should not be regarded as business or investment advice. The articles represent the views of the writers and are subject to change without notice. Additionally, while every care has been taken in the preparation of the articles no representation or warranty as to accuracy or completeness of any statement is given. An individual or organisation should, before any business or investment decision is made, consider the appropriateness of the information in this document, and seek professional advice, having regard to objectives, situation and needs. This document is solely for the use of the party to whom it is provided.